Introduced in 1947, and in production until at least the late 1950s, the heavily-built Rindis was one of those unusual machines that appeared to promise everything - yet never caught on widely enough to become well known. Described as The machine tool with the scope of a machine shop, it was manufactured by Lorant & Co. of 98-100 Croydon Road, London SE20 and today might find a home in the workshop of the keener home-shop machinist, or model engineer, where it would doubtless provide an economical and very compact way of combining several machines in one (yet without the usual size and weight associated with the type). Quite different in every way to that other small, English-made multi-function machine the Scope, the Rindid was protected under British patents 54019, 561216, 577391 and 748101 (and US patent 2376262) the miller appears to have been built in at least two forms, the Mk. 1 and Mk. 2 - the latter version being somewhat beefed up and with a number of minor mechanical modifications. A number of different models were offered being listed as the Types EF 48/12, EF 50/12, EF 52/12 and E.65 - though it's likely that others, as yet undiscovered, would also have been available.
Heavily built, the cast-iron base had built-in switchgear (including an external power socket for accessories and built-in low-voltage lighting) and a front section that held a suds tank and centrifugal pump together with the spiral-gear driven elevation mechanism for the compound table. The rear section contained a swing bracket (with a patented tensioning device) upon which was carried, at first, a 1 h.p. and later a 1.5 h.p. three or single-phase motor drive motor. An ingenious system of V-belts, together with a lathe-like backgear assembly, gave an unusually wide range of eighteen speeds: 80, 100, 130, 150, 170, 240, 300, 340, 345, 430, 440, 565, 620, 720, 1010, 1280, 1820 and 2560 r.p.m. However, by the use of an additional pulley, at extra cost, a further two higher speeds of 2,800 and 3,400 r.p.m. could be obtained. On early models the gear-driven slow speeds were engaged by a push-pull control knob (below and to the left of the spindle nose) but on Mk. 2 models, like the E.65, having a lever set vertically on the headstock's left-hand face.
With movements by screw, or though the action of a quick-release, lever-operated rack-and-pinion gearing, the 12.5" x 6.5" compound table could be fed longitudinally through 7.5" and across by 5". The feed screws were fitted balanced handwheels and large diameter micrometer collars engraved at intervals of 0.001". In addition, the table could both be swivelled through 360 degrees and caused to rise and fall by the use of a handwheel on the right-hand side of the cabinet stand.
Hardened and ground, the nickel-chrome steel hollow spindle ran in tapered roller bearings and had a front register machined to take direct-fitting collets of up to 1-inch through bore. The nose was threaded to accept the usual chucks and faceplates (a useful lock was fitted to ease the fitting of accessories) while the front of the headstock (around the spindle mounting) was machined with two registers to mount certain of the accessories.
Weighing approximately 8 cwt. (406 kg) in its early form and later 10.5 cwt. (533 kg) the Rindis stood on a base that held a coolant tank 20" wide and 31" front to back.
A number of useful accessories were available, some necessarily expensive, that allowed the Rindis to be used for surface, cylindrical and cutter grinding; vertical and horizontal milling; slotting; turning, boring, simple second-operation and cut-off lathe work; drilling; sawing, cutting off and disc filing, etc. In addition to those illustrated below, others included: a 7-inch band-saw to take spiral and flat blades; a set of nine collets and a retaining compression nut for direct fitting in the main spindle: ?, 5/16", 3/8", 7/16", ?, 5/8",, ?, 7/8" and 1"; a tungsten-tipped parting-off tool, various cup and standard grinding wheels and slitting saws; a diamond dressing tool and mount; Lorantco vices Type CV-1 centring for holding round bar stock and Type CV-2 for flat sections; ; an adapter to mount the turbine-driven air grinder, a circular magnetic chuck and backplate for spindle mounting; a de-magnetiser Type DA; a Lushington Boring head No. 0 with a No. 2 Morse taper mount; a magnetic swarf separator for the coolant supply; a tap regrinding and relieving fixture; a set of gaiters to protect the table rising and falling support column and the compound slide; an inspection lamp with to plug into the side-mounted power socket; machined backplates for the headstock spindle; collets with a No. 1 and No. 2 Morse taper bore and two accessory cabinets, one 17" x 15" x 33" that was demountable and another 33" x 18" x 46" that was permanently-mounted.
Should any reader have a Rindis (they are now very rare), the writer would be interested to hear from you. A Rindis rebuild guide is here as a PDF download