A catalogue is available for the Arbor
Manufactured in Italy by Arbor Costruzioni Macchine Utensilui of 42017 Novellara (RE) Via Provinciale Nord 237, the Arbor Multi-function Machine Type CM110-140 was based on a none-screwcutting (but power-feed) lathe that could be ordered with a centre height of either 115 or 140 mm. Made from a grade of hard cast iron, the bed was supported on heavy plinths under headstock and tailstock with a slide-out chip tray between them. With a flat top and V-way edges (with gib-strip adjustment) the bed could be ordered with a choice of three between-centres capacities: 500, 650 and 750 mm.
In addition to centre lathe work, a horizontal and vertical milling machine was built onto the machine's left-hand end and, most unusually, at the tailstock end of the bed a self-contained pull-down cut-off saw.
A single 1 h.p. electronically-controlled variable-speed motor was used to drive both lathe spindle and vertical miller, a combination of toothed belt and steel and fibre gears being used to transmit the power. Running in precision roller bearings, the 25 mm bore lathe spindle was hardened and ground with a No. 4 Morse taper socket and had two stepless speed ranges: in backgear from 100 to 500 r.p.m and, at high speed in direct drive, from 400 to 2000 r.p.m.
Lacking a screwcutting gearbox and leadscrew, power sliding and surfacing feeds for the lathe were provided by a variable-speed motor flange-mounted on the right-hand face of the apron. A conventional compound slide rest was fitted; the cross slide having a travel of 180 mm and the top slide 115 mm (the latter fitted as standard with a quick-set toolholder) - both with good-sized and crisply engraved zeroing micrometer dials.
Fitted with a hardened and ground No. 2 Morse taper spindle running in precision angular-contact bearings, the vertical spindle (driven by a toothed belt) had a range of speeds identical to those used on the lathe. Able to be tilted by 35?each way from vertical, the head had a quill with a travel of 85 mm under the control of a quick-feed capstan-hand wheel.
For horizontal milling the outer end of the headstock spindle was employed to mount stub cutters, there being no provision for an overarm and full-length cutter arbor. Equipped with three T-slots on 80 mm spacing, the 590 x 180 mm table had travels of 300 mm longitudinally, 160 mm in traverse and 250 mm vertically. Very handily, the table could be inclined forwards and backwards through 45?each side of vertical, a facility that, combined with head tilt, allowed several useful sets-ups to be achieved. The knee, carried on dovetail ways formed on the outer face of the machine's headstock-end cabinet leg, could be lowered to give a maximum clearance between horizontal cutter arbor and table of 250 mm - and from the nose of the vertical spindle 170 mm.
Although the tailstock had a one-piece base that precluded it being set over for the turning of tapers, the No. 2 Morse taper spindle was fitted with a micrometer dial.
As a 500 mm between-centres model the Arbor was 1950 mm tall, 1390 mm long and with an installation depth of around 1020 mm required from the tip of the cross-feed handle to the back of the table when the latter was moved to its extreme left-hand position.
If any reader had a Arbor machine tool of any type, the writer would be interested to hear from you.